WackyB.com where nothing needs a purpose or a reason to be here...

Go Back   WackyB.com > General Support, Information & News > Nasties, Notices, News & Updates etc

Nasties, Notices, News & Updates etc As the title suggests, this is forum is for posting information about the latest nasties (viruses, trojans, worms etc), general net or program related news/opinions, windows/program updates etc

Old 22 July 08, 05:13 PM
Hemp? Who Me? Where?

Send a message via ICQ to bee Send a message via MSN to bee Send a message via Yahoo to bee
I switched to FF3 recently... certainly better than the 2 :up: I'm still having resource issues at times but not as bad as before.. it's frustrating as I would be nice to have FF has my sole browser for all when I want to not when I have to, but I'm still using IE7 to override the breakages that FF pops up with... I'm also using Safari more and more...it's really growing on me

I'm also/still trying to get my head around Opera which for some reason isn't compatible with my brain... but I'm persisting as I'm also using trying to persuade myself to use Opera on my PPC. Something about Opera really appeals... i just can't work out what... typically my brain is balking more at Opera Mini (free) than Opera Mobile (US$24) :rolleyes:

I also put FF3 on my Mac but have to say for some unknown reason my brain is struggling with this also

Old 23 July 08, 01:49 PM
Star Member

I'm very much a converted opera user...9.5 has amazing speed...as does FF 3....and even IE7 isnt bad at all. They are all massive leaps forwards and I love the fact they are competiting so much. (To test the websites, I usually use http://www.numion.com/stopwatch/ - check the websites you most frequently visit and see which browser suits your needs best in terms of speed and useability).

I hated the new skin for opera, so went back to the classic bright shiny look I could not tell you what I like most about Opera...I have gradually over time, been weaned off lots of the features and the like...now there is only one thing on my mind...

Speedial...its a wet dream...it really is!

Also the find your favourites while typing it in the bar, which is available in both Firefox and Opera (though I will admit that FF3's ability to add in a "tag" onto your favourites, so when you type that tag in the address bar those with that tag come up).

All in all, I would say you can't go wrong with any of the three main browsers.

FF is for when I am doing dodgy surfing.
Opera for normal everyday websites - cache kept and hardly ever cleaned.
IE - for little things like when websites are breaking in other browsers, and for the Live Messenger--->Hotmail link.
Old 28 July 08, 12:54 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PapaSmurf
Did everyone get the 3.01 update for FF?? Ya should do

I have never used Opera KZ but I am sure it is a good thing.
Old 28 July 08, 05:35 AM
Long Term Resident

Send a message via ICQ to Patchesandme Send a message via AIM to Patchesandme Send a message via MSN to Patchesandme Send a message via Yahoo to Patchesandme
What ticks me off about FF3 (plus update) is that the add-ons aren't updated along with it. Auto-copy is one of my favourites .. can't use it now. Also, the theme Charamel hasn't been updated forever .. the creator lost interest in it and I really loved that skin.
Old 29 July 08, 05:09 AM
Star Member

I know Charamel is as good as gone, however the author did give someone permission to make a slightly modified version of it. I know its not the original, but it may work for you?

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/7517

Its called Silvermel and its what you get if you type charamel into search addons....

As for the other updates,well I guess they will get updated too...eventually.
Old 31 July 08, 02:57 AM
Long Term Resident

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patchesandme @ 27 Jul 2008, 12:35 pm) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Quote:
What ticks me off about FF3 (plus update) is that the add-ons aren't updated along with it. Auto-copy is one of my favourites .. can't use it now. Also, the theme Charamel hasn't been updated forever .. the creator lost interest in it and I really loved that skin.[/b]
Hi Patches,

What exactly did auto copy do? I too have several add ons that I can no longer use. One was FoxNotes which I had a TON of notes saved onto. Luckily tho' I was able to find them via the extensions folder
Old 03 August 08, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to direwolf
What gets me is that at times I have to refresh a screen because the webpage never loads. The status bar reads Stopped or Done and I have a white page with nothing on it. This problem started when I boosted my connection speed to 1.5mbps. I know that Firefox is built for faster speeds than that. Any idea on why this is happening?

I am going to post a thread on some Firefox tweaks I worked out and a couple I found, I hope they will help out.
Old 27 October 10, 05:24 PM
Back for More

The final version of Firefox 3 will be released in describing the product as fully ready for our users. Users of the latest version of Firefox should not expect their add-ons to work correctly with this beta.Firefox 3 sets the bar high with the innovation of new features including one-click bookmarking, smart location bar and an incredible performance fast.
Old 25 February 13, 01:49 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PapaSmurf
Amazing, I read this and realised that FireFox has sure come along way. I updated the browser to version 19 the other day and on my other machine version 20Beta. I do hope that everyone is STILL using it?